Peggy

Default Thanksgiving Menu

Aria wrote:

> Oh please tell me your recipe for chopped liver. I am dying to make some.
> Have never done it and love it so. Thanks.

>>Just did a Thanksgiving-esque dinner (a run-through?) for sixteen
>>"farmworkers," friends who picked apples and helped us bring home 175
>>gallons of cider from the local cider mill -- 100 gallons of it is
>>happily burbling into hard cider in 55-gallon drums on our kitchen
>>floor. Here's the meal:
>>
>>appetizer of chopped liver (made with home-rendered chicken fat from our
>>own chickens -- or should I say "ex-chickens"?) on baguette slices
>>served with our own bottle-conditioned "Champagne" cider

<snip>

Aria -

It's so easy! Put four eggs on to hard boil (cook in water to cover
until water boils; cover pot; remove from heat; wait until you need
them). In a large skillet, saute one large chopped onion (about a cup of
chopped onion) in a mix of rendered chicken fat and olive oil (to
appease the cholesterol gods -- you can use all olive oil, but it won't
taste the same) until the onion is transparent -- about five minutes
over medium heat. Add one pound of raw chicken livers to the skillet,
and cook until they're just a little pink inside, but basically cooked
through. Run the hard-boiled eggs under cold water until they've
stopped generating heat, and peel them. Now comes the fun. Put half
the liver and onion mixture and two of the eggs in a food processor and
give it four or five short whirls, then check it. Chopped liver should
still show pieces of liver, pieces of egg -- you don't want a smoothe
pate. If the pieces are still too large, give it another whirl or two.
Empty the contents of the food processor into a bowl. Repeat processing
with remaining liver, onions, and eggs. If you don't have access to a
food processor, you can chop the mixture with a mezzeluna (a
half-moon-shaped blade with a handle above it) in a wooden bowl, as my
grandmother and mother did. If mixture seems too stiff, add more olive
oil or melted chicken fat. Add salt and pepper to taste, and chill.
Serve with crackers, baguette slices, or on celery ribs.

Don't overlook chopped livers' wonderful sculpting and molding
capabilities -- you can form it into just about anything but the
Brooklyn Bridge (difficult to get the cables to stay straight -- believe
me, I've tried).

Cheers!
Peg