Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default So much for terroir

On Mar 14, 7:00 pm, "Martin Field" > wrote:
> Seehttp://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSL1351984520080313
> "Champagne expands domain to answer demand surge By Brian Rohan PARIS
> (Reuters) - Faced with surging demand, France's champagne producers have
> decided on a very simple way to boost production -- by widening the
> vineyard...."
>
> How far can you "widen the vineyard" to increase production/profits before
> you dilute the "terroir"?

Likely only time will tell. The place to check is likely the NV wines
of the major houses that also produce vintage wines and some very
expensive ones. I would not expect the quality of the more expensive
wines of the house to change much, since the company likely will just
increase their price to what the market will bear. For the standard
brut range of a house, many of the better houses will try to keep the
quality, but some may not. Wines not up to present standards likely
will end up in the NV except for Krug multi vintage wine and a few
others. Or if a house does not wish to lower the quality of their NV
wine, they may make a second label wine or perhaps make house label
Champagne for discount chains.