Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default OT coffee diversion Charcoal briquettes...

On Mar 14, 7:57 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Me too. How the hell does the espressonottucinofrappumochalottacrappa crowd
> know if the coffee bean and roast is even any good? And personally I ain't
> buying any five buck cups of diluted coffee.

I don't think they have a clue what coffee tastes like. None at all.
If you have to put milk, cream, cinammon, whipped cream, sugar,
sprinkles, shavings, and all manner of other crap in it just to drink
it, then why?

I wouldn't care if they called it "Mixture X" or something like that,
but <coffee>? One of the groupies over there calculated how much
coffee was actually in their drinks, and in come cases he claimed less
than 50%.

> Geez, I woulda blown outta there too. What the problem there is, is that
> somebody met a salesman. Several of them, real good salesmen who convinced
> them that the same thing is actually different if you buy their stuff, and
> that anything more expensive that does the same thing in a more convoluted
> way is better. Kinda like some of the pellet pooper sales tracks. And the
> buyers of that kind of excessive oversell stuff tend to get real cranky
> because they have to justify the thousands of bucks they have overspent
> needlessly. It just turns into a stupid big d*ck contest. (IMHO, of course!)

Exactly. Different venue, different items, same EXACT results.

> I've got a Melitta counter grinder that's a dozen years old and it works
> fantastico. But I would like to meet the people who would spend $500 for a
> grinder because I have some investment propositions for them!

I have a La Pavoni Zip grinder on my counter that I bought for $100
at an auction. Check out this link to see what they cost:

http://tinyurl.com/2qmtvy

Did it take your breath away? A grand? Why does someone need that in
their home? (Of course, there are those that don't see the need of a
Klose pit at the house, either - but I call that short sighted!)

It needs grinding mills, and they are about $49. I am going to plug
them in, clean it up and sell it on Ebay. The last one they had like
this sold for about $550 in the condition this one is in.

I will drink
> an iced mocha once in a great while, made here at home on a countertop
> Braun, from really good beans. Tastes as good or better than the same thing
> from most coffee houses I have ever tried.

Of that, I have no doubt. But about the only thing I like IN my
coffee on a rare occasion is Benedictine and Brandy (B&B) or some of
the Amarettos. OK.. wait, at Christmas I like this stuff called
Tipperary, which is the alcohol doubled version of Bailey's. Check
that out in your coffee drinks!

> Of course, now Crackdonald's has gotten into the act, and they can crank the
> same thing out the drive through you have to wait five or ten minutes for
> while some pimply kid screws around in a coffee shop, for half the price,
> and there are Starbucks in Target stores, so from a marketing point of view,
> the gilding is going to be coming off that high dollar lilly ASAP.

Right on the money, Marty. I just read that McDonald's coffee sales
are up almost 20% for their foo foo drinks, and in the meantime
Starbuck's has closed 700 stores.

> > Horsehockey, I say. I just like a good cup of coffee.

> Damn straight! Bourbon for you, Scotch for me, coffee afterwards!

What an excellent night that would be.

> I can get Roasterie here in KC at my grocery store, its within a couple days
> of fresh roasted, so having it that good and easy, I'm too damn lazy to do
> it myself. Its a local treasure.

If I could get good coffee at a fair price, I would be inclined to
just buy it. I just bought a low end commercial vacuum sealer and
would think seriously about buying some from our ONE local roaster if
we could come to terms. He wants anywhere from $9 to $18 a pound ($18
for the strange stuff I don't drink) for roasted and will come down
for 5 lb. orders.

I pay anywhere from $3.75 to $5.00 for greens to the door, but you
have to factor in that you lose 30% of the weight by volume when you
roast as you chase out the moisture. So the numbers aren't as far
away as one might think. And if I could buy a five and then package
it in 1/2# reusable bags, that could be a good deal.

> Headin' over with my bottle of JWB! We'll share and compare, eh?

Anytime, buddy. Anytime. I bet we would have a blast.
Ever come down to burn meat in Texas? ;^)

Robert