usual suspect

Default Advice about juicers

luigisqeegy wrote:
> Is there anyone out there who regularly juices fruit and vegetables?

Yes.

> I enjoy nearly all the fruit juices but find that the vegetable juices are
> very unpalatable.
> Any tips on how to make them more appealing?

Have you tried fresh carrot juice? A lot of people are used to the
sweetness of fruit juices, and are put off by the richer tastes of
certain veggie juices. Carrots are fairly sweet and make a good base for
mixed vegetable juice, especially if you add greens (which tend to be
kind of bitter). The other way to make veggies juices more appealing is
to throw in an apple or two.

> I am hoping to buy a masticating juicer, when funds allow. Is it worth it
> and is one model better than another?

I use a Champion juicer, and have had it for over 20 years; Champions
are built to last (mine weighs at least 15 pounds). The only thing I
don't like about it is cleaning it, but it's not really a hassle. Other
people here seem happy with other less expensive juicers. The extruded
pulp from my fruits and veggies is very dry, so I know I get excellent
extraction. The pulp can be used in cooking, but you'll end up with more
pulp than you can eat if you juice regularly. It makes good compost.

> I am a UK resident so there may be limits on where I can buy one.

Champion ships to the UK. Check with other manufacturers to see if their
models are compatible. You have plenty of options, it just depends what
you're willing to spend and how long you want yours to last. Quality has
a price. It would cost me $300 to replace my Champion, but (as I said)
the one I have now has lasted over 20 years without ANY trouble. That's
less than $15 a year -- less than some of my friends have spent with
their "cheaper" juicers.

> I would also appreciate any suggestions for juicing websites.

Many sites are filled with information designed to sell you a particular
model, and raw-activist sites are filled with outlandish claims about
the benefits of juicing. I'm all for juicing, but you have to remember
that juice is a form of concentrated calories with most of the
beneficial fiber removed.

Everything in moderation.