Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Default User Default User is offline

Default Making pulled pork in a 22 inch Weber kettle charcoal grill.

Frank wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much
> more charcoal grill's.
>
> I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled
> pork but these are mostly all done on a smoker.
>
> Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do
> this not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?

I used kettles for my Q purposes for a few years before getting a WSM.
I still use the 22" one for small jobs and for smoke-roast situations.

As others have said, indirect is the way you want to go. If you can
find the charcoal baskets that fit the 22" kettle, that's helpful. I
don't know if those are available in your area. If you are using lump
charcoal and baskets, orient the baskets so that they are 90degrees to
the bottom grate, as this keeps small pieces from falling through. I
also got some aluminum pans from Weber too, that exactly fit with the
baskets.

Just like with the WSM, the bottom vents are how you control the
temperature. I've found that the Minion Method works, and is quite
useful. One of the problems with the kettle is that adding charcoal is
a problem unless you have the fancier grill with the flip-up edges (I
don't). Even so, lifting the dome for any reason loses all your heat
and smoke. The Minion Method will give a more controlled fire, with
less need to go access.

You can sometimes add small pieces of smokewood if you position the
handles over the charcoal piles. This has the downside of making the
grill handles really hot, so make sure you have good protection if you
do have to lift the grill out of the way. With ribs you can usually get
by without having to do a major refuel, not with butt though.

When smoke-roasting (like the boneless pork loin I did last weekend) I
run with the bottom vents wide open. That's a pretty hot fire. I don't
recall for sure, but for butt I'd say no more than 1/4 - 1/2 open. Top
vent is alway open, of course.

Brian

won't shut up.