Derek

Default farmers and slavers ignore the inherent rights of their victims.

"Bill" > wrote in message link.net...
> Derek wrote:

> >>False. It proves that "veganism" is not based on any
> >>moral principle.

> > Then using children for slave labour and benefiting
> > from it as you most assuredly do must also reflect a
> > failure to recognize a claim that child slaves have
> > intrinsic worth, according to your argument here.

> Non sequitur.

It follows that if vegans are showing a contempt for the
rights of animals when buying from farmers who cause
their collateral deaths during crop production, consumers
of products from child slave labour must also be showing
a contempt for the rights of children held in slavery.

> False, too.

Not at all. Remember this?

Jonathan Ball's desperate attempts to deny child slave
labour exists are showing him to be the most evil liar
on Usenet. While living very comfortably in his luxurious
house in California, he denies their very existence, or at
least he claims to in my discussions with him on the issue.
He has, in the past admitted the existence of them, as this
statement below shows;

"An individual's not buying **chocolate from countries
where slave labor is employed in its production**
doesn't stop the use of slave labor." ** my emphasis**
Jonathan Ball Date: 2003-04-03

Nevertheless, to avoid any responsibility for his continued
support of this trade, and any criticism from others that
he is benefiting from child slave labour, he simply denies
it exists these days. I have shown him plenty of evidence
to prove that it does, not least from The UK's parliamentary
publications office, UNICEF and Anti-slavery International,
but he still won't admit that it exists, lately. In further support
of my claim I have brought something from Anti-slavery
International which no doubt he will ignore again, but read
it anyway, just to see for yourselves that child slavery does
exist, and that it is a World-over known problem.

[4 May 2001
Brian Wilson, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Minister
of State, on 4 May met representatives of the Côte d'Ivoire
and Ghana governments as well as from the cocoa and
chocolate industry on the issue of slave labour in the cocoa
industry.

The meeting has resulted in agreement to establish a task
force comprising government, industry and trade, and
non-governmental organisations to address the issue of
forced labour in West African cocoa production.

"It is clear that forced labour is used in some sectors of
the cocoa industry, though there is no evidence it is
widespread. It is not a problem unique to West Africa, or
to the cocoa industry. But it must be combated wherever
it is found," the UK Government said.

Anti-Slavery International welcomes the Government's call
for forced labour to be combated where ever it is found and
recognition that it is used in some sectors of the cocoa industry.
http://www.antislavery.org/homepage/...ocoa040501.htm

[Millions of others work under horrific circumstances.
They may be trafficked (1.2 million), forced into debt
bondage or other forms of slavery (5.7 million), into
prostitution and pornography (1.8 million), into
participating in armed conflict (0.3 million) or other illicit
activities (0.6 million). However, the vast majority of
child labourers - 70 per cent or more - work in agriculture.]
Updated 04 August 2003
http://www.unicef.org/protection/index_childlabour.html

They have acknowledged it, and admitted
responsibility for it too.
[On Oct. 1, the U.S. Chocolate Manufacturers
Association, the World Cocoa Foundation, and
Hershey, M&M Mars, Nestle and World's Finest
Chocolate signed an agreement acknowledging
and taking responsibility for reports of child slavery
and exploitation on cocoa farms in Ivory Coast,
West Africa. That area provides 40 percent of the
cocoa used by U.S. companies, and in 2000 the
State Department reported that 15,000 child slaves
work there on cocoa, coffee and cotton farms.]
http://www.thelutheran.org/0112/page10d.html

There is no doubt that it exists, and that he is lying.
He continues to buy from these sources even though
he knows human rights are violated in the process, and
he once wrote;
"According to my logic, if you knowingly continue
to buy chocolate - we know YOU do, you fat
lard-ass - then YOU do not respect the rights of
the children. It doesn't prove they don't have any;
it proves YOU don't believe they do."
Jonathan Ball Date: 2003-07-29

Apart from being another concession to child slave
labour, that statement insists that anyone buying choc
is showing a contempt for the human rights of those
slaves. When forced to look at the implications of
what he wrote, he then whined, "I don't buy chocolate,
and when I did, I wasn't supporting slavery."
Derek 2003-08-06