Peggy

Default Thanksgiving Menu

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:02:35 -0400, Peggy wrote:
>

>>turkey brined with lots of salt, a bit of sugar, bay leaves, and
>>peppercorns; roasted under a butter-dipped "blanket" of cheesecloth,
>>cavity stuffed with garlic cloves, cut-up lemon, and apple;

> Peggy tell us more about the above Turkey, sounds very interesting.
>
> South Park Colorado, where the leaves of the few deciduous trees that we
> have gone till next year and it has snowed a couple of times, but today is
> beautiful.
>
> JakeInHartsel

Glenn -

I defrosted the turkey in a big cooler, in its freezer bag, in plenty of
icewater, which we replaced every hour or so. De-bagged the defrosted
turkey, removed the turkey parts that were stuffed into it (used 'em to
make stock which went into dressing and gravy), and put the turkey into
a clean,doubled white kitchen trash bag. Dissolved 2 cups of kosher
salt in a quart of boiling water, then added 7 more quarts of water
mixed with ice, half a cup of brown sugar, four or five bay leaves, a
tablespoon of peppercorns. Put the bagged turkey back into the cooler,
poured the cooled liquid into the bag around it, sealed the bag with a
wire tie, being careful to get as much air as possible out of the bag
while keeping the liquid in, piled more ice on top, and let it sit (in
the bathtub) overnight, flipping it once for even brining. When we were
ready to cook the turkey, we rinsed it off, blotted it inside and out,
popped it into the oven with its little butter-soaked "night shirt" and
dumped the brining water and ice into the tub, fished out the bay leaves
and peppercorns, and hosed down the works. It made for easy cleanup.

Enjoy your beautiful day!

Peg