Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default My 2nd Ave. Deli review

On Mar 4, 9:50�pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �Sheldon > wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > �Pftthhggbbtt! � � No, he should have ordered what he wanted to eat -
> > > and it looks like he did. �:-) � You want the knish and the kishka and
> > > Dr. Brown's Cel-ray tonic, well, you should go and order it. �:-) �

> > C'mon, Barb... even you know chicken is no yardstick by which to
> > measure a restaurant... everything tastes like schicken! LOL

> No single menu item could be a yard stick on which to measure a
> restaurant, so I tend to agree with you. That's one of the reasons I
> also ordered the kasha and the matzoh ball soup, both of which are
> staples in a Jewish deli. It is also why I purchased their Kosher
> salami, cucumber salad, and macaroni salad to go. The pickles and health
> salad I ate at the 2nd Ave. Deli were also first rate. So was the food I
> ate later that day at home.
>
> That being said, I don't claim my review was comprehensive, because it
> was clearly not

Aside from any review I still wouldn't have gone all that way and then
ordered plain old chicken, and certainly not at $21 for that half
pigeon... it's actually not traditional for a kosher deli to serve
roast chicken, they typically served boiled chicken (how do you think
they make real chicken soup), that's why I bet the soup you had came
from a can... if there was no boiled chicken on the menu then they
definitely serve canned soup (doctored with lot's of eye candy
dillweed I see... kosher delis traditionally don't do garnish, the
food speaks for itself). And those salads came out of a five gallon
tub from a kosher wholesaler, same the pickles too, and you could have
bought that same brand of kosher salami in Philly. Even if you're not
into cured/smoked/spicey meats (they no longer prepare those on
premises either) you could have at least tried something they actually
may prepare on premises, perhaps their brisket (very likely buy that
ready cooked from a wholesaler too). Kosher delis don't prepare
their wares on premises anymore (not even k'nish), the cost of
adhering to kosher prep and the municipal health codes for a retail
estsablishment simultaneously is prohibitive, which is the primary
reason there are so few kosher delis remaining... the foods are now a
mere shadow of their former self. And just curious, what prompted you
to go all that way for lunch all by yourself... I went through your
entire report with bated breath waiting for the punch line, for you to
say who you met to help split a magnum of Heinz red. I'm glad you
enjoyed the day.

SHELDON