Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG[_3_] TG[_3_] is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

On 3 Mar, 17:22, Doug Irv > wrote:
> Dick Adams wrote:
> > "Doug Irv" > wrote in ...
> >> I decided to ... instead of using filtered water ... use ...buttermilk.

> Hey Dicky and Jim...I already had a very viable starter before I did
> that. And two days later, and a couple more feedings, I still have. That
> was just an experiment to see what would happen, and as I said, the
> start doubled in a big hurry. That starter now has been fed three times
> with unbleached white flour and filtered water, which is what I usually
> do, and is still growing, bubbling away like gangbusters. When I stirred
> it this morning the bubbles just became more numerous. Might add that
> this starter is now a couple of months old and has been used for several
> great sourdoughs, one whole wheat/rye loaf that was exceptional. Gonna
> start a sponge this morning.
> Cheers, old Doug in BC

Hi Doug,

I'm sure it does work, fermenting liquids do just that, the resulting
gas leavens the dough. An Indian lady I used to work with used
lemonade to make naan. I've used kefir quite a few times to make
bread but the starter won't hold up to big feeds, I suppose if you
keep feeding little feeds like most people seem to do for a long time
it gets taken over by flour flora. I don't know. But it isn't
sourdough until it has been taken over. I only commented because I got
the impression you were suggesting it was.

Thanks

Jim