Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG[_3_] TG[_3_] is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

Hi Doug,

there's more to a naturally leavened bread than sour dough. Of course
fermenting milk will leaven dough, it doesn't mean that you've got a
sourdough starter, just a culture that lives on milk. And of course if
you let it ferment for 10 days past it's date it will smell sour. I
make kefir and it produces a lot of acid when you over ferment it, you
can even use it to make bread but it is nothing like that made with a
true sourdough culture.

But any how, none of that really matters if you enjoy eating the
bread, just don't pretend that it's sourdough. If you want milk buy a
cow, don't buy a bull and pretend you get milk.

Jim