Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default My 2nd Ave. Deli review

On Mar 3, 12:11�am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> When I woke up this morning and the weather was nice, so I decided to
> take my first road trip in my six week old Toyota Prius to try the new
> 2nd Ave. Deli. I drove 90 miles north to 33rd Street and 3rd Avenue in
> Manhattan. I parked a short distance from the deli. I arrived just after
> noon and the deli was packed! I was concerned that I would have to wait
> a while to be seated, but the hostess said I could have a seat at the
> counter right away. The counter only seats five people, and only two
> other people were there when I sat down, but the remaining two seats
> were occupied right after I was seated. The woman on my left ordered a
> vegetable omelet which was huge and perfectly round like a personal pan
> pizza. A man seated to my right ordered a pastrami sandwich on rye with
> cole slaw on it, it was barely contained on plate on which it was served!
>
> I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
> through the city. The photos are athttp://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf
>
> The 2nd Ave. Deli's service was excellent, but the prices were
> outstanding, which is nothing new. I started with a bowl of matzoh ball
> soup for $6.95. My main meal was the $21 broiled half chicken platter,
> which came with two side dishes. I opted for the kasha varnishkas and
> boiled sliced carrots.

You're slipping, Stan... you didn't order anything that goes with
ketchup.

I don't think I'd travel 90 miles to eat half a small chicken at a
kosher deli for an outrageous price of $21.... coulda bought a whole
rotisseried chicken at your local stupidmarket deli for like $6. If
I'm gonna go to a kosher deli and pay outragious prices I'm gonna
order something that I cant get elsewhere. That chicken soup looks
canned to me. And that measly portion of dried out kasha looks from
hunger, could they spare it.... and I feed those horse carrots to the
deer, a five pound bag only costs $2.49 retail... and ain't all
carrots kosher, I mean why order carrots at a kosher deli... it's like
traveling to Chinatown and ordering boiled carrots.... I don't get it,
don't they have carrots in PA? You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
Heinz. And no sour tomatos, what kinda Jew Joint is that???