Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default Fresh Pasta worth the trouble?

"Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 01:28:59 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
> Pope) wrote:
>

>>Yes, that would be the main problem with fresh pasta -- it's too
>>soft for dishes that are better with al dente pasta.
>>
>>Try making macaroni and cheese with fresh pasta and having it
>>not come out a globular mess.
>>
>>Steve

> What a lot of folks seem to forget is that some pasta dishes are
> actually better with dried pasta. Even such noted cooks as Marcella
> Hazan, and Lidia Bastianich say that both have their purposes in that
> some pasta dishes should be made with fresh pasta, and others with
> dried. Sometimes it doesn't matter.
>
> Christine

The two pastas taste different! How could they not with an egg in there?
Some dishes are not good with that egg flavor, some need it.

Also, egg pasta is made with soft wheat flour usually so it won't take the
long cooking in the oven. Dried pasta is made with durum wheat and has a
lot more stretch to it, so you can boil it and then bake it and it will
still look like itself.

Lasagna in my neighborhood is thinnest sheets of egg pasta with lightest of
tomato sauces and a sprinkling of cheese. Cooks vie to see whose can be the
lightest not the most rib sticking.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com