Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default Fresh Pasta worth the trouble?

"cybercat" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Anthony Ferrante" > wrote in message
>>I have never had freshly made pasta noodles, but after watching all
>> the time and effort it takes to make it, I think I will stick with the
>> stuff from the store, Of course, the better brands, not the cheap
>> crap. This video from Youtube showed me how involved the process
>> really is:
>>
>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=_5PMUKP5E9c
>>

> My sister used to make this regularly, and I can tell you, it is just that
> involved. The end product, to me, was so-so. It never seemed to be
> al dente, though her cooking times were low.
>
> I cannot imagine going through all that for pasta.

I didn't see that video because I am on dialup, but I teach pasta making all
the time, using the rolling machines. It's all in practicing so you know
how much of each step is enough. Once you are experienced, it's just as
easy as say, mincing onion. I can start with flour and an egg and have
cooked noodles on my plate in 12 minutes flat. Obviously if I am making
more than 2 portions it takes longer, but not 12 minutes per egg.

If it isn't al dente it's overcooked, period, possibly under kneaded as
well. Is your sister running it through the largest space 10 to 12 times,
folding between rollings? Is the pasta cooking more than 1.5 minutes or
just until it floats to the top of the water?

In the typical Italian kitchen it is merely 100 g of 00 soft wheat flour,
one egg and a pinch of salt, mixed and kneaded by hand and rolled out either
by hand which takes longer or using the little machine. The water is
waiting, the saucing is ready and voila! It's obvious that the quality of
flour and egg are everything here.

Making ravioli or other stuffed pastas is a bit more complicated, but not
that much with experience. The first time you do these things of course it
seems touchy, but didn't making a pie crust or bread also seem hard at the
time?

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com