Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Caffeine and someone who should know better

On Mar 1, 5:04 pm, Shen > wrote:
> On Mar 1, 1:57 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > Alan > writes:
> > > I just watched the "Caffeinated" episode of Unwrapped on the Food
> > > Nework. The master blender (or taster or whatever his title was) at
> > > Lipton said that a 15-20 second steep will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the
> > > caffeine levels of subsequent steeps. ARGH!!!!

> > Do you really think he's ignorant ("should know better")? I suspect
> > he's just stretching the truth as far as possible without telling a
> > lie. Maybe I'm just cynical. And I didn't see the show, of course.

> > /Lew
> > ---
> > Lew Perin /

> Why would a man who sells mediocre tea to millions who may or may not
> be affected by caffeine lie? And, how much expertise does it take to
> be a "Master Blender" for Lipton?
> I've just jumped into the cynical pool.
> Shen

Heh, I thought the same thing the first time I saw that episode but
then they go into the 20+ (IIRC) teas they blend to keep the flavor
consistent. I'm sure it is actually a fairly skilled job but still
mediocre. I'd guess it would be like being Master Vintner at Arbor
Mist.

- Dominic

P.S. So your saying the 15-20 second steep won't reduce the
caffeine?