Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

Default Fresh Pasta worth the trouble?

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Anthony Ferrante" > wrote in message
>>I have never had freshly made pasta noodles, but after watching all
>> the time and effort it takes to make it, I think I will stick with the
>> stuff from the store, Of course, the better brands, not the cheap
>> crap. This video from Youtube showed me how involved the process
>> really is:
>>
>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=_5PMUKP5E9c
>>

> My sister used to make this regularly, and I can tell you, it is just that
> involved. The end product, to me, was so-so. It never seemed to be
> al dente, though her cooking times were low.
>
> I cannot imagine going through all that for pasta.
>
> I might do it for some special, say, spinach or beet pasta. But probably
> not as long as someone was selling it somewhere.

You know what is so funny - I've been planning to make fresh-raviolli for
the first time - using a very similar pasta machine for the first time -
since before Christmas. But I'd put-off trying it because I was utterly
intimidated because I'd never done any of it before. Then I watched the
video and all I could think was 'that looks sooo easy - and hardly any work
at all.' So I'll be buying some veal tonight for the filling and making it
tomorrow.

<grin>

Maybe I'll feel differently in a few days. But right now that video segment
fills me with a sense of hope and confidence, not dread.

MJB