Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dick Adams[_1_] Dick Adams[_1_] is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message g.com...
> I think I will use the words 'dose of yeast', sounds better than
> 'measure of yeast', or would that be too confusing too?

To me, maybe. Where I grew up, a "dose" usually referred to
Neisseria gonorrheae. But it could of course refer to a yeast,
like Candida albicans.

> Should I always say "1 packet or one cube or 2 1/4 tsp or
> 7-8 gm (depending on brand) or 1/4 oz or 1 scant tbsp equals
> 2 cups of Sourdough sponge for leavening power and speed'
> instead? Kinda long winded.

I don't think you should always say anything. Or, to put it more
mildly, I think you should say less. Grams and ounces are good
units for quantity of dry or bulk yeast. There is no good way to
know the leavening activity of someone else's sponge, or even your
own unless you have grown quite clever about such things. And
then there is no way to guess if someone, reading your words about
the activity of your sponge, has attained the same degree of clever
as you, assuming you have become clever, which so far, you have
apparently not.