Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message g.com...
>> Every cookbook that I read and every brand of yeast that I buy 'all'
>> call one 'measure' of yeast either one individual pack of yeast which
>> equals 2 1/4 teaspoons which equals one cake which equals one scant
>> tablespoon.

> Nope, cookbooks do not measure yeast in units of 'measure', nor do
> brands of yeast bought by you or anybody else.
>
> Your web photos indicate that you can make bread and take photos,
> which is a wonder considering the fuzziness of your thought and the
> imprecision of your exposition.

Well, I tried Google and found the whole world all seems to think one
measure of yeast is 1 packet or one cube or 2 1/4 tsp or 7-8 gm
(depending on brand) or 1/4 oz or 1 scant tbsp.

Wikipedia calls one measure a 'dose' of yeast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker%27s_yeast

They describe it as, Quote: yeast for home use is often packaged in
pre-measured doses, either small squares for compressed yeast or sealed
packets for dry or instant. A single dose (reckoned for the average
bread recipe of between 500g and 1000g of dough) is generally about 2.5
tsp or about 7g. End Quote.

Maybe the whole world is wrong also, but 'my' bread sure turns out nice
using those equivalents with the 2 cups of sponge as one of them
according to 'The Joy of Cooking'....

I think I will use the words 'dose of yeast', sounds better than
'measure of yeast', or would that be too confusing too? Should I always
say "1 packet or one cube or 2 1/4 tsp or 7-8 gm (depending on brand)
or 1/4 oz or 1 scant tbsp equals 2 cups of Sourdough sponge for
leavening power and speed' instead? Kinda long winded.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com