Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:20:53 -0800 (PST), TG
> wrote:

>On 28 Feb, 17:57, " >
>wrote:
>> I have a nice starter and I was wondering how do I make any of my
>> basic bread recipes sourdough? *Do I just sub out some flour and water
>> and add the starter or what?

>You don't need any formula, lol, from some numpty that obviously
>hasn't got a clue. All you have to do is use the recipe that's been
>given, leave out the yeast, and use some of the water and flour from
>the recipe to feed a small bit of your starter, say a teaspoon, how
>long all this takes depends on your starter, the temperature and how
>big the bread in recipe is. How you build isn't important as long as
>your starter is a regular starter and not one of those made by other
>numpty authors such as Nancy Silverton. If you know how much water and
>flour is in your starter then you can start from however much starter
>you like or have. Again timing is up to you and your starter so keep
>an eye on it. I regularly bake from just a teaspoon of starter into
>four pounds of dough it takes up to about 24 hours but that can be
>useful, this isn't rocket science so really anything will work within
>reason. Though if you want to make a dough the same as in the recipe
>then following someone's advice about substituting two cups of flour
>for a measure of yeast, whatever that is, a cup? lol, you're in for
>disappointment or two cups of spare dough at the end. lol

Howdy,

Though your "teaspoon" of starter approach will certainly
work, matters are not quite a simple as you suggest.

That is because the proportion of starter to other
ingredients is a significant variable. The results would be
different were you to suggest using an amount of starter
that would provide, say, a third of the flour in the loaf.

Also, what is your beef with Nancy Silverton? The only
difficulty I have seen with her starter generation method is
that of quantity. (She does not discard anything, and, as a
result, ends up with oceans of the stuff.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth