Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message g.com...
>> I use a formula found in The Joy Of Cooking cookbook which says 2 cups
>> of sponge equal 1 measure of yeast. My 2 cups of sponge stirs down to 1
>> cup.

> Which measure was that? Are we saying that one measure of yeast actually
> actually has the leavening power of one cup of stirred-down sponge and
> that The Joy forgot to mention about stirring down?
>
> Not everyone can remember this, but the little spoon that came with
> each Gilbert chemistry set was called "the measure". (Just a little bit of
> nostalgia here to round things out.) That measure, actually an itty-bitty
> spatula with a rounded tip, would measure maybe 25 milligrams. That
> much yeast would actually be enough to leaven a couple of loaves of
> bread, but it might take over 24 hours to do it.
>
> --
> Dicky

Every cookbook that I read and every brand of yeast that I buy 'all'
call one 'measure' of yeast either one individual pack of yeast which
equals 2 1/4 teaspoons which equals one cake which equals one scant
tablespoon.

Now I 'am' in Canada eh, so maybe they measure yeast different where you
are, sorry if I confused you. I wasn't aware that there was any other
'measure' for yeast.

To Quote The Joy of Cooking, just to keep you happy: Two cups of this
foamy mixture are substituted for one cake or package of yeast and it's
liquid. End Quote.

2 cups of 'My' active 'foamy mixture' stirs down to one cup, yours may
not. Don't see how that could confuse you too, but hey.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com