Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default Make any recipe sourdough?

wrote:
> I have a nice starter and I was wondering how do I make any of my
> basic bread recipes sourdough? Do I just sub out some flour and water
> and add the starter or what?

I use a formula found in The Joy Of Cooking cookbook which says 2 cups
of sponge equal 1 measure of yeast. My 2 cups of sponge stirs down to 1
cup. I usually have to adjust the liquid slightly that the recipe calls
for.

I use this all the time with good success. The rise times will be
different than the recipe also, but letting something 'double' is still
double no matter if it takes 1 hour or 3.

Sourdough pizza is wicked.

Mike
Some bread photos:
http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com