Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default Why Vegan Instead of Just Vegetarian??

> their
> >he above is a difference without a distinction. Meat
> > >
> > > Some humans...

> > Meat has been an essential part of the diet of all
> > human societies, and of the vast, overwhelming majority
> > of individual human beings.
> >
> > Humans eat meat: at all times and places.

> 'Gut Morphology and the Avoidance of Carrion among
> Chimpanzees, Baboons, and Early Hominids

> asks.

> relish,

> seasonal
> > >
> > > And hunting wasn't mentioned. Neither was eating insects.

> > Because they weren't trying to answer questions about
> > that. Those studies did *not* say that chimpanzees do
> > not eat meat or insects.

> The studies, and any study for that matter, answer the questions asked.
> If one wants the literature is full of examples where the question of
> meat is asked and and answered for multiple locations for chimps. You
> make a tempest in a teapot.

Humans aren't natural opportunistic scavengers. Clearly.

> "'It is generally accepted that modern humans evolved from some
> chimpanzee-like ancestor (Pilbeam, 1996). Consequently we use our data
> on the nutritional ecology of modern chimpanzees to draw conclusions
> about how nutrition, and in particular, how macronutrient chemistry, may
> have been
>
> involved in human evolution. We will be discussing only the
> plant component of the diet; although modern chimpanzees
> are omnivorous (Teleki, 1981 [Gombe NP]), plant foods
> provided the great majority of the food seen eaten by these
> primates during our year-long study (ca. 99%)."
>
> No problem, the chimp like critter and the human line departed ways 5 or
> so million years ago and any examination of modern chimp dietary habits
> can only speak to them and the environment in which they live.

Key word being "environment".

"Studies of frugivorous communities elsewhere suggest that dietary
divergence is highest when preferred food (succulent fruit) is scarce,
and that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion
& Gautier 1979: Terborgh 1983). " Foraging profiles of sympatric
lowland gorillas and chimpanzees in the Lopé Reserve, Gabon, p.179,
Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences vol 334, 159-295,
No. 1270.

> Chimps eat meat and do so with relish,

Fat is a primary reinforcer.

> make tools specifically to humt
> animals and hunt cooperativly and then share the meat among themselves.
> The percent is quite irrelevant.

It is relevant to our knowledge of frugivores' natural diet.

> If one wants to make something of
> chimps with regard to humans and hominids in general the case swings
> both ways; meat is involved and can not be denied.

Insignificantly, for the most part, if at all.

> You strive to swallow a camel and manage just to swallow a gnat.

mmmmmm.......