swamp

Default Facts we should *not* consider.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 04:52:31 GMT, Jonathan Ball
> wrote:

>swamp wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:10:40 GMT, Jonathan Ball
>> > wrote:

>>>I have a friend from my graduate school days at UCLA
>>>who, when the USC-Notre Dame game comes around, says
>>>that he roots for injuries.

>> I know lots of UCLA grads who feel the same way. Never quite
>> understood them.

>They hate USC, and no one likes ND.

Except NBC.

>> Dad went to SC and took me to games as a kid, so
>> naturally they're my team. Mom went to Berkeley and I went to UCI, so
>> I root for UCLA and Cal unless they're playing SC. My second favorite
>> team is whoever's playing Notre Dame.

>That's what UCLA students and alumni say about USC.
>
>I did two years at community college, then completed
>undergrad at [lowers voice to whisper] USC. I was
>badly fooled. It wasn't a good school. It was L.A.'s
>connections school: where young white men went to get
>into some dull moneymaking thing like real estate
>development or accounting, and women went to meet the
>budding real estate developer or accountant to get
>married. I got to grad school at UCLA and realized I
>was woefully unprepared. UCLA was and is an excellent
>school, just a tiny nudge below Berkeley; USC was junk.
> USC has gotten a lot better than it once was, but it
>still does not match UCLA academically.

At the risk of conspiracy accusations, I see nothing wrong w/
attending CCs or SC. A close friend did exactly that. I wanted to go
to Cal, but didn't quite meet its requirements out of high school.
Didn't want to go to SC back then, but its academic standing has
definitely moved up since. Longer ago than I'd care to admit.

>> And I like a good hit as much as
>> anyone, but never like to see serious injuries. Hell, they're just
>> kids playin' ball...

>My friend was only expressing his disgust for both
>schools, not truly rooting for injuries.

Yeah, I know some UCLA grads... Not too sure about them when SC's
playing... Hope you're right.

[snip]

>> You didn't hate the Celtics? That smug, cigar-faced, racist Auerbach,
>> elbow-artist McHale, and whiner of Ainge?

>I certainly didn't like them, but I wouldn't say I
>hated them, although in retrospect I should have hated
>that racist shitbag Auerbach. I still remember McHale
>practically decapitating Kurt Rambis, and nothing
>happened to him.

I'm guessing I'm more of a sports fan than you are, but am equally
opposed to AR. I can provide decent suggestions on veggie chili
recipes in compensation

>It seemed to me the team to hate in that era, for
>Lakers fans, as the bad boy Pistons, not the Celtics.
>The Celtics we just wanted to beat, and soundly.

To each his own. I hate the Celtics. Pistons... indifferent.

>> I don't know any empirical method of quantifying hate, but I'll match
>> my hatred for the Yankees w/ yours any day. It started when Reggie
>> stuck his butt out to deflect the double play throw in the '77 World
>> Series, and has grown ever since. Hate 'em more than Notre Dame, the
>> Giants, Celtics, and Cowboys combined.

>I lived in the Bay Area for a while and became kind of
>a secondary Giants fan,

God save your soul...

>....although I can't stand Bonds.
>I stopped hating the Cowboys as soon as Staubach
>retired and we quit hearing that "America's Team" crapola.

I don't like the Braves for the same "America's team" reason. Guess I
hold grudges longer than you.

Fish won tonite. Anything's better than the evil empire.

--swamp