usual suspect

Default Facts we should *not* consider.

Gary Beckwith wrote:
>>Some are. Some are slaughtered right on the farms at smaller operations.
>>But, the fact still remains, they die a far more humane death than the
>>animals that die for your cheap, conveninet veggies.

> can someone tell me what the heck you are talking about? that is
> ludicrous. you people keep saying this but have not substantiated it a
> single time. what animals are dying by the production of this organic
> carrot in my hand? get real.

The organic carrot grew from a seed. The seed was planted in a field,
most likely by machine. The machine is very heavy and very dangerous,
not only for the animals in the field but also for the farmer. The
farmer has a stake in the yield of the field, so he treats the topsoil
with a variety of substances. These may include fish emulsions (so is
your carrot really vegan?), but could also include substances which are
supposed to kill rodents and birds and insects. Yes, organic farming
allows for the use of pesticides, just not the synthetic ones (the most
lethal ones are organic anyway). The farmer also has to irrigate his
fields if he doesn't get enough rain. That could include flooding a field.

Your carrot could have included deaths and/or dismemberments from heavy
machinery, pesticides, and flooding. That doesn't even take into
consideration animals and insects killed where the carrot was stored
(food safety laws require certain pest control standards), transported,
or even sold (where the same food safety laws apply). In short, the only
way to ensure no animal dies in the production of your food is if you
grow it yourself.

Here is a picture of a fawn which got shredded by a combine:
http://www.bds.org.uk/Research/Silag...entperrier.htm

Combines are used for grains, killer. You eat grains, don't you?