Sue milham

Default Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown Rice)

Mmmm, you're making my mouth water with these spicy creations. It is chile
season. Do you have a single source for these recipes? A book?

The one suggestion I would make is to sweat the chiles in a paper bag rather
than plastic, not as likely to melt or take on toxins from mixing heat and
plastic. Brown paper works very well.

Also, I'm thinking I'd substitute the ones with texturized protein with tofu or
tempe, as I've been worried lately about the forms of soy, some overly
processed products may give too much disputed properties of soy. The texture
may not be meatlike tho'.

Thanks for your prolific recipe suggestions.

(MrFalafel) wrote:
<< Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown
Rice)

4 large poblano chillies or 3 small ones, peeled, seeded and de-veined
(see below)
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro/coriander or parsley, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups refried beans
1 cup water
1 pint vegan sour "cream' (Tofutti brand or make your own)
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375F. To peel the chillies, first roast them on a
hot griddle or under the broiler, turning occasionally until they are
evenly blistered. Place them in plastic bag to sweat for a few
minutes, then peel. Cut a slit down the side of each chile. Remove the
seeds and veins with care (you may want to wear gloves).

Combine the rice, cilantro/coriander, green onions and salt and fill
the chiles with this mixture. Arrange the chiles in a lightly oiled
9x9inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Make a sauce be heating
the refried beans with the water, mixing well over low heat while the
chillies bake. To serve, spoon the bean sauce over each chile and
garnish with a spoonful of sour "cream' and some chopped green onions.

>><BR><BR>

Sue M.