Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Alsace, Pfalz, Loire, Brazil

On Feb 17, 8:41 am, DaleW > wrote:

> Indeed, I think the days of light and elegant Alsace wines may be
> behind us.

Perhaps you are right if the warming trend of recent years continues.
However the positive side of this is perhaps there may be more SGN
wines in Alsace and more BA and TBA in colder regions of Germany such
as the Saar. We will know the end is near when Clos Ste. Hune can no
longer produce a dry Riesling and it drinks well early on :-). I also
suspect that it would take quite a bit of warming before Austria can
no longer produce a good dry Riesling. There have been cycles of cool
and warmer years in the past. For example there was a cycle of many
cooler and unripe years for Bordeaux in the 1930s. I think it would
take observation over several decades to separate such short period
cycles from a long term effect such as global warming with much
confidence.