Greykits

Default Thanksgiving Menu

>TonyP > typed:
>> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>>

>Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then smoked on
>my Kamado.
>
>The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
>award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.
>
>BOB

I like smoked turkey but I also like stuffing cooked in the bird. The booklet
that came with my smoker has a recipe for a ham to go on the rack over the
turkey on the lower rack. This sounds like heaven to me, but I don't often
cook that much meat.

We actually like turkey here and I have a turkey breast thawing in the fridge
now. I will probably make a brine for it tonight. Last week I brined a chicken
with water, salt, brown sugar and soy sauce. This was on the rotisserie for 2
hours over some hickory chips. It was a hit with all who had it, including the
rotisserie man who said it was less apt to cause flare-ups. This chicken was
very juicy and good. I always stuff the cavity with lemon, onion and herbs.

For the turkey dinner in a day or two, it will be turkey breast, stuffing,
gravy, cranberries, butternut squash, maybe a green vegetable and maybe an
apple pie. This is just for 2 people. We actually like that green bean
casserole, but I've been off ambrosia since my teen years. The yams with the
marshmallows were never common in long-ago dinners so I don't miss them. One
time I followed a recipe that had them with pecans and lots of brown sugar and
it was just too much. I really like them baked in their jackets with butter.
This will be an oven dinner. Now, I have no clue as to what we'll have for the
holiday.

rharps.com