Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bigbazza[_8_] Bigbazza[_8_] is offline

Default For those Folk Who are Interested in Oz's attitude to US Food!

On Feb 6, 9:52 pm, Gregory Morrow > wrote:
> [...]

> US bread often contains sweeteners. Lately I've taken to making my
> own...no sugar.]
>
> "Milk also tastes different. The other thing unusual about milk is the
> 1 gallon containers that they can be bought in (like some orange juice
> containers in Oz). [The largest milk containers I've seen in Oz are 3
> litres - that's still 780ml short].
>
> [GM: "different" bad - or "different" good...???]
>
> "Butter is a dirty word in the US. Along with margarine it is
> currently considered unhealthy. The standard spread for sandwiches is
> mayonnaise ( I once ordered a sandwich with butter and after
> explaining it a few more times and dealing with the stares associated
> with "where'd you park the spaceship?" the shop-assistant nipped out
> to the backroom and returned with a blob of oil that passed as
> butter). As a consequence there is not a great range of butter or
> margarines. What butter exists tastes totally different to
> theAustralianbrands."
>
> [GM: I and many others only use butter, it's a matter of personal
> taste. I can buy butter from all sorts of different places...]
>
> "Don't expect to find any vegemite in supermarkets. However if you're
> desperate (and you have no friends back home to mail it to you) you
> can find promite in certain supermarkets. It comes in a very small jar
> and costs more than $5. But don't look in the aisle with the peanut
> butters or jams [jelly] because you won't find it. Look near the salt!
> [Vegemite is a salty black substance that is commonly spread (very
> thinly) on sandwiches and toasts. It is anAustralianicon akin to
> apple pie for Americans. Ironically itsmadeby Kraft - an American
> company!]"
>
> [GM: I can probably find Vegemite in a number of places right here in
> my Chicago neighborhood. OTOH you'd probably have bad luck in Arkansas
> or even a hundred miles south of Chicago...]
>
> "If you have a craving for beetroot whatever you do don't buy a can
> and cover a sandwich with it. Believe me this could ruin your lunch.
> [Beetroot is common on a "standard" hamburger in many parts of
> Australia.]"
>
> [GM: What would Barb Schaller say...!!!???"]
>
> "In the summer there is plenty of lovely fruit. Strawberries the size
> of golf balls can be easily found. Compared to the
> tastelessAustralianvariety these taste beautiful. Cherries are also great.
> [Australia has an abundance of lovely summer fruit (plums, peaches,
> grapes, watermelon etc) and quite a good winter crop too (mandarins,
> oranges & apples) but cherries and strawberries in particular are
> better in the US.]"
>
> [GM: quality of fruit can vary widely by season and location and also
> by source. Plenty of drab strawberries around...or you can get great
> ones at farmer's markets, etc.]
>
> Most of the comments seem like the sort of stuff USAin's say about
> European or Oz or whatever food...people are set in their taste ways/

For those who want to try some Vegemite and have trouble finding it
you can buy it on the net at Australiana Online www.australianaonline.com.au
If it is too salty to have on toast try adding it to gravies or
casseroles for additional flavour.
Cheers
Joe

I personally prefer 'Promite' myself, rather than Vegemite, Joe... It is not
as salty and has less bitter taste, by being sweetened a little..
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz