Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default Nonstick fry pans

"BigD43" > wrote in message
On Feb 7, 8:21 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "BigD43" > wrote in message

> On Feb 6, 11:34 pm, Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> BigD43 > wrote:
> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always
> hand wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in
> them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money
> and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?
>
> It'll be one of two problems:
>
> 1. Pan too hot. Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
> heat, or else the coating will degrade.
> 2. Pan too cheap. With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.
>
> I have bought a couple of cheap non-stick pans, One from Wal-Mart and
> one from
> Sams but the last one I bought was from a restaurant supply house and
> was in the sixty dollar range.
> I am still using that one but it looks a little worn and it is less
> than a year old. I cook hambergers in
> it on the stove top as I did with the others and it gets relly hot.
> I always turn the burner on high and
> let it get really hot then I turn it down to the temp I cook at. I
> have always done this with black iron
> and never had a problem. The reason I rinse while it is still hot is
> I saw that on one of the cooking
> shows and all I have to do is wipe it with a damp sponge and a little
> soap and it is clean. I had no
> idea I might be shocking the metal. I had so many replies to my
> question, I am more confused now
> and my write Martha Stewart for help. Thanks for your reply
>
> ===================
>
> I usually don't type in all caps, but this time, I will:
>
> YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE NON-STICK PANS WITH HIGH HEAT.
>
> Of course you didn't have problem with black iron. IT'S A DIFFERENT
> MATERIAL, YOU FRIGGIN' IDIOT.
>
> Find a 7 year old child and have him or her read the instructions for your
> pan and explain them to you.

Thanks for your reply, especially the YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT part. I have
read every instruction that came with the cook ware, and all I could
find on the net as well and none said be aware of high heat. Thanks
for pointing it out to me as only you could. I shall no longer expose
my non-stick cook ware to high heat. P.S. the all caps was a nice
touch, hurt my ears a little but still, a nice touch.

I imagine you could get away with 'cooking' with high heat, but you are
heating the pan empty with high heat. The instructions came with your pan
and told you the highest temperature that you could subject it to. Heating
a pan empty and cooking with heat are two different things. Does your pan
rock or wobble when you set it down on the burner -- I would expect it to do
so after empty high heat and then thrusting it into water while it was hot
and empty. Cast iron can stand a great deal of heat and is often heated
empty, still, I wouldn't take an empty hot cast iron pan and thrust it into
wash water. If I wanted to get crusty stuff off a cast iron pan I would
heat the pan with the water in it and scrape the bottom. Be kind to your
metal pans. ;o}
Janet