Julianne

Default Thanksgiving Menu

"TonyP" > wrote in message
news
> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>
> Our is generally,
>
> Baked Turkey slow cooked about 6 hours (salt,pepper,basted every so often
> and always moist and tender).

I'm gonna do fried turkey this year if I get responsibility for the turkey.
The results are so much more predictable.

> A ham, usually sliced before hand and warmed later (turns out a little dry
> presliced).

I wish! Half my family is Jewish and keeps kosher. I do so long for a ham!

> Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
> gibblets or anything.

Absolutely. Preferably corn meal based.

> Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.

We've never done mashed potatoes. We do, however, have corn pudding which
is to die for. Also, there is a Jewish dish that has noodles and grapes,
etc. which is pretty decent after you acquire a taste for it. I have never
made it so can't give too many more details.

> Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.

My Mom makes a casserole like this. No Thanksgiving would be complete
without it.

> Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.

Haven't done the whipped cream and don't particularly like cranberry sauce
but it sure is pretty. I would never have Thanksgiving without it just
because I like the way it looks

> Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.

Another contribution of my mother's. Being that she is now 74, mabye I
should learn a few of these recipes??

> Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.
>
> 1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav

Fried turkey does not lend well to gravy.

> Fresh veggie tray with carrots, celery, brockly, cauflower and ranch
> dressing.

The veggie tray saves me from myself. I start in on it as I begin to cook
and visit. By the time dinner rolls around, I have much better control.

> 17 cans of black olives.

Okay.......

> Store bought roll's (warmed), half weat/ half white.

Challah bread which is made with a lot of eggs and braided is traditional
Jewish fare and is always served at our family gatherings. If you have been
reading my posts, lately, it is apparent that I am actively trying to master
the bread thing. I hope to be able to bring other kinds of bread to the
table this year. Nothing beats home made bread unless it is bad home made
bread

> Usually a store bought cherry pie and homemade apple pie or two.

I have a very competitive family. Yes, there are some store bought deserts
but lots of home made ones, in addition. As an aside, I come from a large
family. My aunt married a Jewish man and Thanksgiving at their house has
always been the 'family holiday' as it wasn't related to a religious event.
My uncle is the 'patriarch' of that celebration and he is also the 'family
doctor' taking care of all of us. Therefore, there is an unwritten
competition that involves making chocolate deserts for our favorite uncle.
It makes for a delicious desert bar.

> Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.

One of my cousins makes something like this. It is awful. Do you have a
recipe that works? I have been known to clandestinely throw part of the
jello salad away so he can avoid embarrassment.

> Simple dinner, nothing fancy or gourmet but it's always a nice treat.
> Please pardon the spelling, I'm buzzed and my spellchecker is broken.

It all sounds wonderful. Still, the beauty of Thanksgiving isn't the food
at all but rather the company!