Posted to rec.food.cooking
salgud[_2_] salgud[_2_] is offline

Default Nonstick fry pans

On Feb 7, 8:07*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> .. .
> || "BigD43" > wrote in message

> | >I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> | > scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> | > I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> | > wash but they still flake after a short time of use. *I fry in them,
> | > mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking.
> |
> | It is my understanding that you are never supposed to put them in water
> | while they are hot.
>
> Scanpan instructions specify to clean them while still hot:http://www.scanpan.com/main/faq.aspx#8
> I have had some Scanpans for almost 20 years of pretty
> hard use; still in excellent condition.
>
> pavane

It's the rinsing while hot that is the problem. The metal of the pot
and the teflon coating have very different coefficients of therman
expansion, which means that when you heat or cool them they expand or
contract at very different rates. Since the teflon (PTFE) will
contract much more slowly that metal, they'll separate. If they're
allowed to cool slowly, the elasticity of the teflon will allow it to
"keep up" with the metal as it cools.

I suggest you buy one of the recommended non-stick pots and let it
cool before rinsing, and you'll get the same life out of it as the
others here have gotten from theirs.