Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curt Nelson[_2_] Curt Nelson[_2_] is offline

Default Nonstick fry pans

"T" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article <dfc8d866-3e6a-48aa-a899-1fd6b37b5271
> @l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, says...
>> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
>> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
>> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
>> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
>> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
>> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
>> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
>> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
>> problem that I am not aware of?
>>

> Go to a restaurant supply house and get the Wearever-Lincoln brand with
> Cool-Grip II handles. I got mine for $48, have had it for two years and
> it hasn't flaked off at all. Mine is the 12" skillet.

I have to second the motion of going to a restaurant supply house for a good
non-stick pan... as well as all your other kitchen needs. Generally cheaper
and more durable.

After cooking with nonstick for about 15 years, I really don't like them.
When I can afford it, I plan on going to stainless steel with a heat
conductor and just keeping a good Teflon sauté pan around for certain things
like omelets.

Truthfully, over the years I've really come to like well-seasoned cast iron.
There's a need for all three types in your kitchen arsenal, just not a
fifteen-piece set of each, IMO.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson