Posted to rec.food.cooking
Miche[_3_] Miche[_3_] is offline

Default Nonstick fry pans

In article
BigD43 > wrote:

> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?

It'll be one of two problems:

1. Pan too hot. Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
heat, or else the coating will degrade.

2. Pan too cheap. With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.

My non-stick pan is a Scanpan ceramic titanium sautee pan. The surface
is incredible as far as its non-stick properties go, and hard-wearing
enough that I expect it to last a lifetime. And no teflon to flake off
into my food.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases