Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nonstick fry pans

"BigD43" > wrote in message
>I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?

I have a 12" Calphalon non-stick pan that I picked up for $30 at Bed Bath &
Beyond 4 years ago. I've had no problems with it. Either you're buying lousy
pans, or you're mistreating them. I never heard of having to rinse them
while hot. Where did that idea come from? If you're repeatedly rinsing a hot
pan with cold water, I suppose it's possible that the sudden temp change
could eventually cause damage. It could also be too much heat.

What brands have you had problems with?