Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User Default User is offline

Default Peanut, peanut butter, jelly !

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Puester" > wrote in message

> > I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
> > refrigeration. I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters
> > wouldn't get rancid as quickly if they were refrigerated.

> The oil will still separate out even if refrigerated. You have to
> stir it each time before using.

I don't think so. Even when not refrigerated, the natural separates
very slowly. When I get a jar of Smucker's natural, it separates so
slowly that I usually don't have to stir again. Sometimes if I didn't
do a good job initially, it will need a redo because there's some at
the bottom that didn't get incorporated fully.

> I think you are right about the nut butter going rancid.

No. Unless you have unsalted, it's not going rancid in any reasonable
time frame. If you aren't going to use if for a month, maybe.

Brian

won't shut up.