Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default What kind of smoker do you have (and which one should I get)

Steve Calvin wrote:
> SD7 wrote:
>> I'm going to try smoking for the first time, and looking for a
>> smoker. I would like to get a big green egg, but I'll probably never
>> have that kind of cash to throw around. I also thought about making
>> a home made bbq pit, but I'm sure I probably wouldn't be able to
>> pull it off. I was looking at the weber 2820 smokey mountain cooker,
>> and it's much more in my price range, but I don't know how good a
>> metal smoker would be (I'm on a low carb diet and planning on using
>> whatever I buy year round, including winter). It's also a charcoal
>> smoker; and I'm wanting to use wood. I don't know who uses what
>> around here, but I have read some messages and most of them talk
>> about wood, and would like to know what kind of smokers everyone is
>> using.

> WSM is a good unit for the $. Is a BGE "better"? Probably.
> Worth the $? I can't comment on that as I do very well with
> the WSM and see no reason to change.

I agree with you Steve. In my estimation, the Big Green Egg is worth every
penny, although I would probably look at the Primo before the BGE. And if
one could afford the expense, the Komado-Kamado would be what I would
purchase. Ceramic cookers can do it all as a bbq pit, smoker, grill, and
even an oven.

For doing just bbq, the WSM is unbeatable unless you're willing to spend the
money for a ceramic pit.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com