Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Following directions?

James Silverton wrote:

> j> Tastes vary.. duh.. so without tasting, many dishes are not
> j> to my liking when a recipe is followed to the letter. Many
> j> recipes to me, for example are TOO salty.
>
> Could be! I wonder sometimes why chefs feel so strongly about
> salt that they refuse to have it provided in a restaurant? It's
> even a way to provoke an explosion by asking for it. On the
> other hand, I've got to admit that a chef is usually right :-)

People have different tastes and their taste for salt sometimes depends
on how mcuh salt they have in their system. Salt tastes especially good
when you have been working hard and sweated out a lot of salt from your
system. Your body lets you know that you need more by developing a
positive taste for it. Something that tastes really good on a hot day
might taste way too salty on another day.

My wife tends not to use much salt when cooking things but then salts
the food on her plate. I tend to use more salt when cooking and rarely
have to add any.

One thing that I have learned over the years is that pork is a lot
better with lots of salt on it while cooking, and chicken also benefits
from generous seasoning.