Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Following directions?

jay wrote on Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:20:22 -0600:

??>> There was a interesting thread recently concerning
??>> following recipes exactly. The results showed a division
??>> among those who follow recipes, those who modify as they
??>> go and those, like me, who follow directions once and then
??>> feel free to make changes.

j> Tastes vary.. duh.. so without tasting, many dishes are not
j> to my liking when a recipe is followed to the letter. Many
j> recipes to me, for example are TOO salty.

Could be! I wonder sometimes why chefs feel so strongly about
salt that they refuse to have it provided in a restaurant? It's
even a way to provoke an explosion by asking for it. On the
other hand, I've got to admit that a chef is usually right :-)
:-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: