Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default Following directions?

On Feb 5, 12:32 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> There was a interesting thread recently concerning following
> recipes exactly. The results showed a division among those who
> follow recipes, those who modify as they go and those, like me,
> who follow directions once and then feel free to make changes.

You read directions when cooking? The next thing we'll hear is that
when driving you ask directions!

Actually I'm of the follow directions the first time, unless something
is obvioiusly a typo. Once when just learning to bake bread I
followed a recipe that called for 1 tablespoon of salt and, while very
dubious, I followed directions as I had never worked with rye flour
before. Now I use some judgement.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada