Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Following directions?

There was a interesting thread recently concerning following
recipes exactly. The results showed a division among those who
follow recipes, those who modify as they go and those, like me,
who follow directions once and then feel free to make changes.

Another aspect is cooking methods; does everyone follow them
exactly?

I discovered a long time ago that frozen bagels could be cooked
efficiently by nuking for 20-30 seconds per bagel, then placing
them in a cold oven and taking them out when the oven
temperature reached the recommended temperature for defrosting:
350F.

I like frozen French bread rolls whose recommended cooking
method is heat the oven to 400F, put in the frozen rolls and
cook for 8 minutes. However, today I tried the bagel method
without nuking. I put the rolls in a cold oven, took them out
when the temperature reached 400 and the results were
indistinguishable!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: