Posted to alt.food.sushi
Gerry[_3_] Gerry[_3_] is offline

Default High mercury levels in tuna sushi

On 2008-01-30 08:05:10 -0800, Warren > said:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
>> Gerry wrote:
>>> Don't put your hashi in storage just yet:
>>>
>>> The Times' Fishy Story
>>> NEVERMIND THAT SCAREMONGERING STORY ABOUT MERCURY-TAINTED SUSHI.
>>>
>>> http://www.slate.com/id/2182823/nav/tap3/

>> I'm not a big tuna eater anyways.. so the "scare" wasn't going to
>> stop me from eating what little I do. I will still reduce the
>> amount my children eat, regardless of the counter article.
>>
>> They can decide what the want to eat when they pay for the sushi
>> themselves
>>

> well, since the rebuttal came from an industry group that works for the
> fishing industry, I can't say I have a lot of faith in their science.
> In fact, a lot of it is specious.

The University of Rochester works for the fishing industry? Or Slate
columnist Jack Shafer works for the industry?

> http://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/2...-tuna-tempest/
>
> frankly, we always knew tuna has mercury and it's always been smart to
> minimize consumption, especially high risk individuals. I don't eat it
> because we're killing off the species by overfishing, but that a whole
> 'nother issue.

We did? When did I begin knowing this? If we know there is mercury in
it, do we know how much relative to say, the Minamata disaster?
--
///---