Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
michael[_3_] michael[_3_] is offline

Default Bottling sickness

I have been receiving a lot of good advice about when to sulphite (see
below),and I hope to apply it when or if we have a good English summer
and harvest.

However I still have some 2006 red wine (German hybrids Rondo and
Regent) which have survived my policy to date of not putting in any
sulphite.The white has been thrown away as it oxidised.
The red is beginning to taste quite good,but I have noticed an
interesting effect which some of you might understand.When tasting the
wine from my 1 gallon glass demijohn,when full the wine taste is only
so so.After transferring it to stoppered carafes (like bottling)for
drinking it gradually improves quite significantly over a week-and now
tates very good.Does anyone understand this effect?
Best regards
Michael