Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Full brisket, Sacramento area: FOLLOW UP to FOLLOW UP

On 26-Jan-2008, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> >You aren't ever going to find out what grade that particular meat is.
> >If I were you, I'd try to find out how good you can make it with the
> >cheap stuff. That's my philosophy. Only spend money if you have to!
> >
> >GWE

> I resemble that remark.
>
> But I host my softball's team (which I've played on since 1980) annual
> Superbowl party (10-12 guys plus wives [some "choice", some "select",
> no "utility"] and kids [some "utility" here, though]) and other
> miscellaneous attendees), and I've set a verrrry high standard with
> pulled pork shoulders, turkeys, and ribs. But that menu is getting
> old, and I want to try something different (brisket, pulled chicken
> leg quarters, and buffalo wings). I'd hate to fall on my face with a
> dry, tough brisket.
>
> But what I'm getting from you guys is that it's up to me, not the
> steer.
>
> No pressure....
>
> -Zz

Methinks you have correctly decyphered the message. Ungraded brisket
from Wally World is what BBQ is all about. I buy packer cut brisket(s)
when I can get them for less then $1.60/lb. I can get NY Strip for $4.99.
Not much point in paying that kind of money for pork butts or brisket.
I like 195° as my magic number for brisket, but your preference may fall
anywhere from 185° to 205°. 195° and above tends to be a little crumbly
for slicing. That doesn't bother me, but if you want nice clean slices, you
might want to consider a lower internal temp for your finished brisket.

Given that you desire to please a fairly broad spectrum of guests, I'd
recommend trying for about 185° internal and stick to S&P for the rub.
Unlike chicken, brisket has a very robust flavor of its own, so It's shame-
ful to cover it up with spices. Some folks just naturally gravitate to BBQ
sauce though, so you might want to think about having some available.
(My Puerto Rican neighbors use my BBQ as a vehicle to eat BBQ sauce.
They aren't even particular what kind of sauce it is.) I've had good
comments about the 'Struttin Sauce' I serve. The recipe is from the
book "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

If you treat brisket exactly the same as pork butts you're going to be
squarely in the middle of the ballpark. And ye gods, BBQ is all about
the cheap cuts man. Forget that crap about graded meat and serve
very large portions of the cheap stuff.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)