Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Full brisket, Sacramento area: FOLLOW UP

On Jan 26, 2:23*pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> its "choice" or "select" grade? *I forgot to check when I was there,
> but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".
>
> Thanks a heap once more,

You should get a lot of answers on this. But... remember if you reply
to them things will be a lot friendlier if you don't top post.

I have found my personal experience is that the cooking tells the tale
in the lesser grades of meat. I don't have any problems with the
grades, as long as I let the brisket and the fire do their thing and
let me know when they are ready. For me, the texture of some of the
better qualtiy meats isn't what I am used to and I have a tendency to
overcook it a little making the flat a little crumbly when slicing, a
definite no-no in my book. With that said, the inexpensive cuts and I
are old friends.

The best thing I could relate to you when cooking a brisket is to give
yourself PLENTY of time when cooking. Them old bovines can be pretty
tough.

If it hits a plateau, don't get anxious. Leave it on the fire and let
it does its stuff; I cook at higher temps than most do here for
brisket sometimes, but it depends on the piece of meat. But if you
want a sure fire method to brisket heaven, allow about an hour and a
quarter to an hour and a half per pound. EACH piece of meat will be
different, and you could easily take off or add time to those numbers.

For me, I don't flip, spin, foil, basted pack in an ice chest for
several hours (unless company is coming later on) when cooking. I
apply rub for an overnight rest and take it out an hour or so before
it goes on the fire. Some say this distresses the smoke ring process
as their is greater reaction to the myoglobin when it is cold. The
smoke ring on mine is pretty, I still get a nice ring almost every
time.

Since you are not competing, I would worry more about tasted and
texture before I started worrying about the smoke ring.

I would suggest a rub with little or no sugar in it, and if you are
starting out on the beef smoking trail, I would cook the meat with
just a coating of 1/3 part kosher salt, 1/3 part pepper, and 1/3
paprika, and that is all You brisket is supposed to taste like
barbecue, not a pizza or a plate of enchiladas.

When getting my rubs the way I wanted, I spent WAY to much time on
them, and didn't really realize the real secret is in the cooking
method. Good advice has been seen around here, too, and that is to
cook the brisket completely naked so that you can get a real taste of
what smoked brisket is all about. Then build your ingredient list
from there.

Good luck! Hope it turns out well.

Remember the old adage; "It's done when its done". Brisket takes some
practice, but is worth the curve.

Robert