Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher[_1_] Dan Logcher[_1_] is offline

Default High mercury levels in tuna sushi

Musashi wrote:
> "Warren" > wrote in message
>
>>http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/22/america/fish.php
>>
>>you know, I've been harping on people (friends/family) to stop eating
>>species that are being over fished for quite some time, perhaps this will
>>get people to stop eating so much bluefin tuna? um... I doubt it.... I
>>always preferred hamachi and and others over tuna anyway, so this won't
>>affect me, but it's never fun when your favourite food gets bad press.
>>

> Perhaps this will dampen the global demand and the pressure on the stocks
> of Bluefin Tuna. And Chilean Seabass. That in turn will bring the prices
> down further reducing the pressure.

If price drops, the pressure on bluefin will increase.. Lower prices makes
it more attractive for sale. People have to make a conscience effort to stop
eating the fish having population issues. I stopped eating swordfish a few
year back when restaurants started their own moratorium.

--
Dan