Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants,alt.restaurants
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Strike Two: Cheesecake Factory does it again!

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:07:27 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> >Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Anything is a step up from Applebees. Never been to a Ruby Tuesday. They
> >> don't have them here. Maybe we're just lucky...

> >My first and only visit to a newly opened (a few weeks prior) Applebees
> >was so bad in every possible way that I blacklisted the entire chain and
> >have never been to one since.

> It doesn't take much to turn someone off. I was in Macaroni Grill
> about 10 years ago and we each had a glass of wine from the table jug.
> When the waiter asked how many glasses we had he questioned our
> honesty. The jug wasn't full to begin with. That's all it took for
> us to never return.

Well, I would have talked to the manager about that one.

My Applebee's experience was a bit different given that the location was
open only a few weeks and should have been under corporate oversight at
that point. Every possible thing was wrong from the service to the food,
it was bad enough that in a decent restaurant I would have expected the
manager to be over apologizing to all the various customers for the
problems. It wasn't just my party either, I noticed other parties with
issues, and the place was perhaps at 30% capacity.

> >I've been to Ruby Tuesday a few times and it's been ok, just average
> >acceptable chain stuff. Comparable to Chili's, Olive Garden, Ground
> >Round and other basic chain places.

> Not bad for food that comes out of big plastic bags. <g>

Yep, adequate for a quick lunch or dinner if there isn't ambition to
find something better.

> >The Cheesecake Factory, Macaroni Grill, Magianno's and similar represent
> >and upper level of chain restaurant with pretty good food. Still chain
> >food, with nothing really outstanding and a consistent menu.

> We were at the downtown Chicago Magianno's last week. Nothing special
> except for a big bill. It didn't even smell like a restaurant.
> Friends took us there for our birthday or I never would have gone.
> There's too many better and cheaper places around here.

I think I've been to the Chicago location and it was good. Smith and
Wollenski is a better choice in Chicago I think. The Magianno's in
Buckhead (Atlanta) was pretty good and bustling, but everything around
there is.