Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
juliantai[_3_] juliantai[_3_] is offline

Default Theanine data quest

On Jan 17, 11:38 am, Nigel > wrote:
> Interest in the positive benefits of theanine in tea (relaxing, mind
> calming and stress reducing) is long overdue, but the published
> literature is woefully short of reliable data. The Tea Research
> Foundation of Central Africa did recently publish some Japanese
> analyses from 2003 showing quite considerable theanine variation
> country to
> country and tea type to tea type:
>
> Japan, average 0.86% - range 0.2% to 1.6% (15 teas measured)
> North India, average 0.91% - range 0.5% to 1.4% (4 teas)
> Argentina, average 1.41% - range 1.0% to 1.8% (12 teas)
> South India, average 1.48% - range 0.6% to 2.4% (4 teas)
> Malawi, average 2.20% - range 1.1% to 3.4% (12 teas measured)
>
> The theanine difference between the Assams and the Malawis - which in
> blenders terms are fairly close - is particularly interesting.
>
> I am particularly happy at the high levels of theanine in the Malawi
> teas as we are pioneering use of these bushes for White Teas - two of
> the cultivars we currently use for white tea production come in at
> 2.2% and 3.1% theanine - way above the norm in the rest of the world's
> teas. We sell these as Chilwa and Salima respectively.
>
> If anyone has any, or knows of any, other theanine content data I
> would be very pleased to see it.
>
> Nigel at Teacraft

Nigel

Congratulation!

Must try your cultivar one day!

I have some data here that may be of (some) interest to you.

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/whi...-caffeine.html

There is all kinds of info about this in the chinese realm, it really
depends on what you want (happy to dig around).

By the way I have been reading some old English tea books which use
the word "theine" - I get utterly confused whether it means theanine
or caffeine (they describe theaine as stimulating).

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com