Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

"Scott W" wrote

> >> The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> > > being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> > > can.

(snips)
>> Hope this helps! Took a bit to grab all them bottles out of my kitchen
>> and
>> check'em for ya. As you can see, I tend to asian cookery but more the far
>> east vice india.

>Wow, what a lot of info, much thanks.

No problem! I assume you can google for 'low protien diet' as I did so wont
quote too much there, but here's a handy chart I'll add for my own
reference:
tvp 1/2 Cup/ 43 gms 23 gms of protein
(texturized vegetable protein)
meat - 1 oz 10 gms
cheese - 1 oz 10 gms
black eye peas - 1/4 Cup dry 9 gms
kidney beans - 1/4 Cup dry 9 gms
pinto beans - 1/4 Cup dry 7 gms
pasta - 2 oz uncooked 7 gms
soy milk 8oz./ 140ml 6 gms
peas - 2/3 Cup frozen 5 gms
potato - 5.5 oz 4 gms * high potassium
bread - 1 slice/oz whole wheat 3 gms
rice - 1/4 Cup uncooked 3 gms
corn - 2/3 Cup frozen 3 gms * high potassium
Try low protein recipes <-- search on
that.www.recipezaar.com/recipes/low-protein - 38k That one looks likely.>As
for potassium, it can be a problem, but I gather that as long as it>is not
too high in the blood it is not too much of a worry. Phosphorus>would seem
to be more of a worry, but easier to avoid. I went
offwww.kidney.org/ATOZ/atozItem.cfm?id=103 <--- go here for some really
good but unquotablelow potassium lists.I saw milk and milk products need to
be restricted both for protein and phosphorus.Suggested was to use older
firmer cheeses as they add more bang for the buck on flavor.>today to get my
potassium, phosphorus and calcium levels check, I>should have the results
tonight to tomorrow. Potatoes have a huge>amount of potassium, but you can
leach some of the potassium out by>soaking thin slices in water for a few
hours, just how much you can>get out no one seems to be saying.Yeah,
kidney.org talks about how to do it but doesnt say how much is leached
out.>Rice seems to be a very good base for low protein cooking, it does
not>have too much protein and also not all that much of other things
that>would be bad. But as with most things relating to diet and
kidneys>everything is backwards, white rice is preferred over brown rice.
If>I do a vegetarian rice dish I will normally come out at around 13>grams
of protein, add one ounce of meat and it is up to 20 grams,>which is the
most I would want to get in one meal. With just one>ounce of meat you can
pretty much leave it out and not tell the>difference in taste, so I am
eating far more vegetarian meals then I>ever thought I would.I noticed a
large number of veggies you need to avoid too. Those where due to
potassium,winter squashes etc (but summer ones seem ok>Some changes I have
had to make has made the food better. Costco has>a lobster bisque that I
really like, problem was that a container of>it has 22.5 grams of protein,
not real bad but higher then I would>like. So now I cook up some mushrooms,
garlic, maybe a bit of onion>and bell peppers and add it to rice and a small
amount of the Lobster>bisque. I like it like this better then just eating
the soup, and it>cuts down on not just the protein but the salt as
well.Excellent! Let me start another reply. Somehow the encoding of this
one is off and cant fix it without deleting the web page info