Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

"Scott W" wrote
>> The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> > being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> > can.
> > What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> > clue about what they are talking about.

>I use a lot of rice, mushrooms, curry dishes, with a bit of chili oil to
>give it some heat.
> onions, sweet bell peppers and more coconut milk

Scott, like to help with some recipes but I dont know that much on protein
levels of things like rice etc.
I snagged out the notes on what seems allowed. I gather potasium is also a
problem if too much but am unsure
what vegetables have high potasium other than you mention potatoes and i
recall bannanas are high. I know legumes (beans)
are protien high too.

If you could come back with a list of 'allowed' and perhaps a few more
common 'not allowed' I'd be happy to see what I have
that might be workable. I have 50,000 or so recipes here with the majority
aimed for scratch 'healthy' cooking (though
won't be aimed specifically as low-protien, I checked for that and nothing
catagorized that way).

I have one general idea and a few specifics to help with the lack of meat
flavoring.
- General- Many asian and Indian recipes are very low on meat. You'd have
to adjust as they tend to be bean (tofu or other) high to adapt the protien.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs10.htm <--- that showed up fast on a web
search as well as several other interesting sites.

If you are also sodium restricted, but can have up to 1500mg a day look into
the Datu Puti brand name of soy sauces for light use as a condiment.

-Datu Puti Soy sauce: serving size 1 TB, 310mg sodium, 'less than 1g
protein'. It's not advertized as 'low sodium' it just is and 1/2 that of
'low sodium kikkoman' but *much* better flavored. My husband is sodium
restricted and with reasonable portion control, we can fit this in our
cooking. Product of the Philippenes, widely sold in the USA. Says in the
write up 'high protein content' but that's a selling point there. At less
than 1g, shouldnt be too bad?

- Flying Horse 'Sweet chili sauce for chicken'. This is a thai style
containing: sugar, water, chili, garlic, modified corn starch, salt,
vinegar, xanthan gum. Product of Thailand. Serving size is 2ts, 300mg
sodium, 0g protein. The only problem with this one is at 2ts, it is too
small an amount. The 0g protein might be one 1g if you used 4 ts. If you
are allowed eggplant, try long slices of asian (those are the smaller less
bitter ones with edible skin) brushed with olive oil then brushed with this.

- Hon-Dashi fish soup stock, this packs a whollup of flavor in it's small
amounts used. Serving size 1/4 ts, 170mg sodium (all else is 0 at that
size). Usually you'd use 1 ts to 3-5 cups of liquid for a soup base. You'd
control this one with making up a batch with 1ts of the powder to 4 cups
liquid then you get only 1 cup. You can use that 1 cup as your rice making
water for a change of pace. This is useful if having problems locating a
stock that is low enough for you to use. If in doubt of the flavor, they
sell it in small packets so get the smaller one and try it. They may use
filler in some of the smaller packets. My box is a 1,000 serving box (big
box, we use it alot in cooking). Product of Japan. If the 1ts per 4 cups
water is too weak, make it stronger but control your total to 1/4 ts per
serving.

- Tiparos brand 'Patis' (fish sauce). Product of Thailand. Serving size
1tb, 690mg sodium, 2g protein (1%). This 1 TB is a HUGE serving, you will
want to actually use 1/4 ts at most in a dish for 2 people. A litle goes a
very long way! I use this by what I call a 'squizzle'. The top has a
pinhole and I squeeze out about 1/8-1/4 ts for use in a dish for 3 of us.
Sold by the pint (7oz) it will last us 3 years easy yet we use it about
twice a week. This has a strong fishy taste and is used to flavor foods
with a fish flavor when there isnt enough fish to go around.

All of the above are very *brand specific*. You may find better, but I
guarentee there are other brands which are going to be completely out of
your limits for sodium. Patis especially known for that. Other than the
swet chili sauce, these condiments are used to add a 'meaty flavor' to a
meatless dish for the most part.

2 more products but no brand name. These are commonly found in Asian
grocery type places.
- Niboshi- has other names. Little whole dried fish, they look like
dried guppies to a USA eyeball ;-) 2-3 sprinkled over a soup or in rice,
add quite a bit of flavor and interest. Portion control obviously needed
for you.
- Dried baby shrimp- lots of names, often spiced with chile oils before
drying to make them 'pink'. Check at the store first if they are loose in a
bin to see what they spiced them with at drying time. My local place has 2
bins, and one is salt free (MSG free too) and very spicy-hot, while the
other is a salty-sweet and slightly hot in a hungarian paprika sort of way.
Like Niboshi, a little can go a long way but notice as they are dried, their
protein amount per 'oz' would probably be alot higher than fresh? You'd use
2-3 in a soup or over rice with other 'furikake' seasonings.

1 more product, brand name not essential but mine is from Japan. Dynasty
brand. Seems sesame oil should be ok? You want the 100% roasted sesame
oil, not the mixed USA lighter version. A little goes a LONG way. Use by
the drop if not familiar with it, flavors vegetables. Lists as 0 for sodium
and protein.

Now, if I had a better idea of what veggies you are allowed and some idea of
serving sizes allowed, I can come back with some actual recipes?

Oh and for your poor starvilating wife <grin>, this is a perfect time to fix
her some of the meat types she loves and you *hate*. Like, I cant stand
liver so if i had to swap to a diet like this, Don would be getting liver as
I'd have zero temptation to eat it.

Hope this helps! Took a bit to grab all them bottles out of my kitchen and
check'em for ya. As you can see, I tend to asian cookery but more the far
east vice india.