Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

On Jan 14, 7:20*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> >> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> >> problems... [snips]
> >> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?

> > What I don't understand -- and therefore it sometimes strikes me as
> > annoying-- is why a person with an aversion to a food or a dietary
> > restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care or be
> > the slightest bit interested. *If you really like something and post
> > about it so others will try it, great. *But if you don't like
> > something why are you posting that fact? *Who the hell cares? *If
> > you're allergic to (a) and have found (b) a good substitute, okay
> > maybe someone similarly allergic could try your idea. *But the plain
> > fact that you're allergic helps no one. *If you're on some particular
> > diet, find a group for that diet and post there. *Time after time
> > someone posts about a particular food and someone replies, oh I can't
> > eat that, it's prohibited by my diet. *Fine, but why are you posting?
> > Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? *It's just like
> > announcing whose posts you're not going to read: *who cares? *-aem

> Someone might. Just because you don't, *you can't speak for everyone!!

Where do you get the idea that I am speaking for anyone but myself?

> I certainly don't have a problem with it. *It could be helpful to someone
> with a similar problem.

My annoyance is with those posts that contain no help, that simply
state an individual's aversion. I find them pointless.

> As you say with not reading posts, either do it or don't! *We don't need you
> to complain1-

The OP to whom I responded asked, "what is your viewpoint." I was
answering that question, not initiating a complaint. -aem