Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>Anything I left out?

>Nope.

>But if you were in the situation where you were choosing or had to
>avoid foods, for any of the above situations, how would you approach
>it? I was looking for how people approach such a situation
>personally...

I have no particular plan in this regard.

I mostly just muddle through it. I am lactose intolerant; I
deal with this by a combination of avoiding dairy, sometimes
substituting a lactose-free product (e.g. soymilk), sometimes
taking lactase and sometimes just putting up with the symptoms.

Once I was served sea snails because I was a regular customer
at sushi place and they wanted to do something special for me.
Embarassed though I was at my total lack of fortitude, I did not
choose to eat them out of politeness. Simply couldn't force
myself to do it.

Steve